Halifax Water is a regulated utility and is mandated to set rates so that they recover the costs of providing the service(s).
- $0.976 per cubic metre
WASTEWATER DISCHARGE RATE
- $1.753 per cubic metre (before April 1, 2021)
- $2.073 per cubic metre (on or after April 1, 2021)
RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY OWNER STORMWATER RATES
Halifax Water customers who receive stormwater services will see two stormwater charges on their Halifax Water bills:
- The Site-Related Flow (SRF) charge is a Halifax Water charge based on the stormwater that flows from each private property into the Halifax Water stormwater system. This charge is calculated based on the impervious area on the property. Properties with more impervious area (ie. roofs, asphalt, concrete, and packed gravel) would pay more than those with less impervious area.
- The HRM Right-of-Way (ROW) charge: Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM) funds its portion of stormwater expenses through a ROW charge. Halifax Water collects this charge on behalf of Halifax Regional Municipality.
|Tier||Annual SRF Charge||Annual HRM ROW Charge||Total Annual Stormwater Charge|
|Tier 1: Less than 50m2||$0.00||$0.00||$0.00|
|Tier 2: 50m2 - 200m2||$14.00||$40.00||$54.00|
|Tier 3: 210m2 - 400m2||$27.00||$40.00||$67.00|
|Tier 4: 410m2 - 800m2||$54.00||$40.00||$94.00|
|Tier 5: Greater than 810m2||$81.00||$40.00||$121.00|
|Culvert Service Only||$14.00||$40.00||$54.00|
NON-RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY OWNER sTORMWATER RATES
Non-residential properties are charged a different Site-Related Flow Charge based on the fact that there is more variation in their impact on the stormwater system depending on their size, characteristics, and property use. This means it is important to measure these properties individually, and also provide a credit system or adjustment mechanism to refine how non-residential properties are charged.
|Annual SRF Charge||Annual HRM ROW Charge||Total Annual Stormwater Charge|
|Impervious Area||$0.135/m2 Impervious Area||$40.00||Based on Impervious Area + $40.00|
|Culvert Service Only*||$14.00||$40.00||$54.00|
*Properties with a culvert that are not billed the site-related charge will receive a culvert charge of $14 annually.
WATER & WASTEWATER RATE
- $192 on a quarterly basis for residential Halifax Water customers only
WASTEWATER ONLY RATE
- $114 on a quarterly basis for residential Halifax Water customers only
Other Rates & Charges
REGIONAL DEVELOPMENT CHARGE (RDC)
This charge applies to any new building or expansion of an existing building that connects to Halifax Water’s central water and/or wastewater system. This charge also applies to an un-serviced lot of land, occupied by a building, existed prior to July 14, 2014, when the building is connected to the water and/or wastewater system.
As of May 31, 2021, regional development charges are:
- 1.5% per month (19.56% per annum)
Domestic accounts with 50mm service pipe: $68.00
Building serviced by a primary pipe:
- 100mm: $269.00
- 150mm: $373.00
- 200 - 300mm: $478.00
Building serviced by a fire line: $373.00
During regular business hours:
Outside of regular business hours:
Setup fee for all new accounts:
Halifax Water's Non-Sufficient Funds charge:
Halifax Water may charge penalties in addition to applicable water charges for each illegal water connection as follows:
- 1st offence: $300.00
- 2nd offence: $750.00
This monitoring service is available for Halifax Water customers who are large water users and have private distribution systems. It is meant to monitor the metered flow and report abnormal water usage to the customer:
- $120.00 per month, per meter
Bills issued outside the regular billing cycle:
- $12.00 per copy