When you create a Halifax Water account, that account is tied to the water meter that is installed at that property. When you move, the account you created does not move with you. You must create a new account and cancel the old one.
Setting up an account, and alternatively, cancelling an account, with Halifax Water is easy. Simply fill out one of our online forms:
There is a $25 account creation fee, which is charged on your first Halifax Water invoice.
To ensure prompt processing, inform Halifax Water at least five business days in advance of your move.
You will need to set up an account or cancel an account if:
- You just moved to Halifax
- You bought a new house
- You are moving from one location to another in the Municipality
If your water service has been turned off you must call the Halifax Water Customer Care Centre at 902-420-9287 to make arrangements to have it turned back on.
In order for Halifax Water to restore your water service, a person of 19 years or older must be present in the home at the time.
Deposits for water, wastewater, and/or stormwater services must be paid within 10 days of account activation.
A deposit may not required if you meet one of the following criteria:
- You own the property to be serviced.
- You have an account with Halifax Water that is not delinquent and timely payments have been made for a minimum of 12 consecutive months.
- You have never held an account with Halifax Water, but can provide a reference letter from another utility indicating your recent account with them has been held in good standing for a period of at least 12 consecutive months.
If you are cancelling your Halifax Water account and you paid a deposit, the deposit amount along with interest (at the current simple interest rate being paid by Halifax Water's chartered bank) will be returned as a credit to your account.
Some customers who do not need to pay a deposit when they apply for service are asked to do so later because they become delinquent or develop unsatisfactory credit. To learn more about Halifax Water Billing please see section 10 of the Halifax Water Regulations.