Halifax Water through its contractor, Atlantic Road Construction and Paving (ARCP) Limited, will be installing 3.7 km of water transmission main along Lucasville Road.
Beginning the week of May 20th, Halifax Water through its contractor, Atlantic Road Construction and Paving (ARCP) Limited, will be installing 3.7 km of water transmission main along Lucasville Road. The work zone will be from approximately 1400 Lucasville Road to Bryanston Road. No new services are planned as part of this water main work.
Halifax Water will also be replacing four cross culverts in the work area that have reached the end of their life cycle.
November 13, 2019 Update:
- This project is coming to a close, all new water main has been installed and is being tested and commissioned.
- The majority of base-level road has been paved.
- The three connections that required the closure of Lucasville Road are complete. The contractor worked hard to complete this work over two weekends rather than the expected three weekends.
- The remaining work includes final paving, some small excavations to complete work on a few portions of the existing water main, reinstatement along the edges of the road where the new water main was installed, and any remaining culvert repairs/replacements.
- The contractor expects to have all equipment off-site by mid- or late-November (weather dependent).
- Some reinstatement work, such as replacing grass, and other planting may need to carry over into spring 2020 to wait for favourable planting conditions.
ARCP will start water main installation the week of May 20th. The anticipated completion date is mid- or late-November (weather dependent). Typical work hours are Monday to Friday 7:00 AM - 6:00 PM. There may be some weekend work and/or overnight work to complete connections to the existing main.
Two traffic lanes must be maintained during peak traffic times, between the hours of 7:00 AM - 9:00 AM and 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM. In order to maintain two lanes of traffic during peak times, ARCP will pave portions of the shoulder, where space is available. Outside of the peak traffic hours, Lucasville Road will be one lane stop and go traffic managed by traffic control personnel.
During July and August when traffic volumes are lower, the 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM portion of the peak hour restrictions will be lifted. This will allow the contractor to complete the work in areas where temporarily moving a traffic lane to a portion of the shoulder is not possible.
There will be up to 3 occasions where Lucasville Road will be closed to all but local traffic and emergency vehicles. Through passage at the work site will be restricted. These closures will take place on weekends. As these closures near, further notices and Public Service Announcements will be issued.
There will some temporary water disruptions during the work as key connections to the existing water mains are made. Notices will be delivered by the contractor in advance of any of any shutdowns. Some of the services connecting to the existing water main may be replaced between the water main (Halifax Water/the public side) and property line during the project. This will be based on a visual inspection by Halifax Water as services are exposed.
HRM will partner to complete full width asphalt between approximately 1400 Lucasville Road and Waterstone Run (approximately 2 km). For the remainder of the project limits, between Waterstone Run and Bryanstone Road, the full northwest lane (half of the road width) will be paved.