Beginning on Monday, July 5, Halifax Water will be undertaking significant work on Cobequid Road in Lower Sackville to replace the water main for the area. This work will continue 24-hours per day, seven days per week until this work is complete.
We are committed to the safety of our Customers, Employees, Contractors and the General Public. Our focus is on doing this work safely, and we ask drivers to please adhere to all road safety signage. Motorists are also reminded that speed fines double in work zones.
Customers can sign up for updates through the form below.
Active Traffic Advisories:
Water Service Impacts
While road construction will take two or three weeks, we expect a window during this work when customers can expect lower than normal water pressure. In advance of this low water pressure period, we will send out a PSA, update this webpage, our social media accounts (@HalifaxWater), and send direct email updates to those customers who sign up below.
As we work to replace this section of the water main, we respectfully ask our customers in the impacted communities to voluntarily reduce their non-essential water usage. This will help ensure that residents have water when they need it. Learn more about water conservation here.
Active Water Service Advisories:
Why is this replacement work necessary?
This is an emergency replacement due to a premature failure of a section of this water main. Halifax Water is replacing about 500 feet of the water main in this area to ensure continued reliable, clean and safe drinking water for our customers in Lower Sackville, Waverley, Lakeview, Fall River, & Windsor Junction.
What has Halifax Water been doing to solve this issue?
When the scale of the issues became clear in 2020, we repaired the water main in the most cost-effective way for our customers, but it failed several more times. Based on our investigation, we now understand that soil conditions in this area have caused damage to the existing pipe.
To ensure our customers continued to have reliable access to water, we initiated the following in this area:
- We immediately repaired breaks until we could understand the root cause of the issue.
- In 2020, Halifax Water applied for approval for the extension of the water main line along Windgate Drive to provide an alternative supply of water. This plan was approved, and work is expected to start in the summer of 2021. Learn more about this project here.
- Our original plan was to complete the Windgate Drive water main line and then replace the Cobequid Road water main section.
- Now that we understand the root cause and have confirmed that this section of the water main is failing prematurely, we have determined that an emergency replacement is required.
- Our focus is on providing a highly reliable supply of water to our customers. By completing this much-needed replacement work and extending the Windgate Drive line later this year, Halifax Water customers impacted in these areas will have increased system reliability.